Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I made a discovery while researching some art on the internet. I suppose it's of little or no significance, just petty gossip and way past it's sell-by date, but here goes.

Bonnie and I were good friends with the filmmaker Emile De Antonio in the 1980s. "De" [pronounced DEE, as his friends called him] died in 1989. De had made a number of important documentaries [including "Point of Order"] and was very knowledgeable in contemporary art. He had been instrumental in advising Warhol, among others.

A just recalled aside: De wrote a treatment for a film, basing the main characters on Bonnie and me. Martin Sheen had shown an interest in playing me. Like so many film projects, it came to naught.

A man of rare wit, education and insight, it was always a pleasure to talk with De. Our conversations about art were among the most valuable I have had. De had produced a classic film called "Painters Painting," using direct cinema techniques to document some of the major figures of the New York School.

De and his wife Nancy lived on East 6th Street, in a house I presume he owned. We visited it often and had dinner with them. Their downstairs tenant was the well-known painter/filmmaker Alfred Leslie.

Anyway, it turns out that shortly after De died Nancy took up with Alfred Leslie and is still his live-in companion today. So something must have been brewing for a while.

We never picked up on it. Although I can imagine that De might have been a bit of a handful. I well recall his bottle of Aqua Vitae on ice and loaded rifle at the ready!

We had completely lost touch with Nancy, as our relationship was almost exclusively with De.

As I said, this couldn't mean much to anyone other than ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment