Saturday, May 1, 2010

Great Neck, Long Island, where I grew up in the 60s, was haunted by the ghost of Nazi Germany. It was a mostly affluent Jewish enclave. The middle-aged residents believed they were secure. But there was an undercurrent of uneasiness. If Nazi Germany, or something like it, should rise again all bets were off. I think there was a small voice whispering to them that one could never be certain.

Nazi Germany was kind of an all-purpose bete noire. It symbolized the worst circumstances one could imagine. Therefore invoking its spectre could provide some comfort, because nothing happening to you in Great Neck could ever be so bad as the same thing happening to you in Nazi Germany.

Stubbing your toe in Nazi Germany was worse than having a stroke in Great Neck, Long Island.

"My bursitis is playing up again...but at least I'm not living in Nazi Germany."

"My wife ran off with her podiatrist and my business is bankrupt...but at least it's not happening in Nazi Germany."

Nazi Germany gave people some hope that maybe life's crises could be resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment