Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Here is a fragment from a newly discovered 1888 letter from Vincent Van Gogh to his brother Theo. It was written during the period Vincent and Paul Gauguin shared lodgings at Arles:

"....I've had enough tsouris from that meshuggeneh Gauguin to last me a lifetime. I need this? He's always going on about moving to Tahiti. Tahiti, shmahiti. So move already! But last night I told him not to leave me in the lurch on the rent we owe for the house. What does he think? I can sublet midseason? Anyway we had words and Gauguin stormed out. Probably went to drink absinthe with some nafka. Came home early this morning.

Tonight I'm going to serve a nice gedempte fleisch and try to smooth things over..."

Some scholars now suggest this proves once and for all Van Gogh was Jewish, something that has been in dispute for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment